5-Ingredient Boozy Maple Bourbon Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes For That Thanksgiving Win
A playful take on the traditional sweet potato casserole, these twice baked sweet potatoes are creamy, boozy, and sweetened with a touch of maple syrup. Adding in optional vegan marshmallows and pecans create an incredible side dish OR dessert!
Usually twice baked potatoes are loaded with cream and butter, as are mashed sweet potatoes. This version adds JOI to the mix and replaces those ingredients completely! A splash of bourbon and drizzle of maple syrup really amp up this otherwise boring potato.
The optional add ins include vegan marshmallows and pecans! The marshmallows aren’t necessary but add a fun and gorgeous presentation. Pecans will add crunch and interesting texture to this twice baked sweet potato.
Yield: 6 servings
What’s in it:
3 sweet potatoes
¼ cup of JOI plant base (almond or cashew)
1-2 Tablespoons Bourbon (this is to taste, anything over 2 Tablespoons will be WAY too strong)
¼ cup maple syrup
Pinch of salt
Optional: vegan marshmallows or chopped pecans
How It’s Made:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- First prepare the sweet potatoes by washing them and, with a formk, carefully poking holes all over each sweet potato. Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and roast at 400 degrees for about 1 hour. Upon removing the sweet potatoes, reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- After the sweet potatoes are cooked (fork tender), cut them in half. Wait for them to cool a bit so you can handle them.
- Gently scoop out part of the inside flesh, leaving about ⅛ of an inch of flesh intact around the sides. Place the scooped out sweet potato flesh in a bowl.
- Combine the scooped out sweet potato with JOI, bourbon, maple syrup, and a pinch of salt. Stir well to combine.
- Add the mixture back into the sweet potato skins and sprinkle with marshmallows, if using. Place on the baking sheet.
- Return the baking sheet to the oven for 10 minutes at 350 until marshmallows are browned.
- Remove and top with extra maple syrup and pecans if using.