Going vegan does not mean you have to give up some of life’s little pleasures—like silky smooth, decadent, savory queso. Our friend Chef Amber from plant-forward healthy eating advocates The Naked Bite has come up with a good one.
Your standard grocery store vegan cheese may be a divisive topic, but there’s nothing up for argument about the vegan queso Chef Amber has whipped up. Creamy JOI nutbase comes together with roasted red peppers (a sure-fire way to take any recipe up a notch) and rich spices to create a plant-based, gluten-free, vegan queso like no other. It’s hands down delicious, 100% whole-food, and entirely guilt free—not to mention a great addition to your next potluck, game day, girls’ night, or family dinner snack spread. Pro tip: it’s also great on tacos.
We suggest getting a second bag of tortilla chips—Vegan Queso made with JOI will go fast. Here’s the recipe:
What's In It:
1/4 cup + 2 TB JOI nutbase
1/4 cup filtered water
1/3 cup roasted peppers, drained
1/4 cup nutritional (not Brewer's) yeast
2 TB lemon juice
2 cloves garlic (large)
1 medium scallion or large slice of red onion
1 TB olive oil
2 tsp smoked paprika or chipotle powder
1 tsp cumin
1 good pinch cayenne
Salt to taste
How To Make It:
- Place water, followed by all other ingredients, into a blender.
- Blend on high for about 30 seconds, until very smooth and creamy.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary, and add a touch more water if you would like it to be thinner.
- If you would like to serve it warm, blend a bit longer until some steam is escaping from the hole in the lid.
- Eat with chips, over warmed black beans or as a sauce for tacos.
Tips & Notes:
- To make a vegan "cheese" sauce, omit the cumin and chipotle and serve over pasta like a mac & cheese, or over steamed broccoli or cauliflower.
- Nutritional yeast is a byproduct of the molasses brewing process. It is very high in B vitamins and has a cheesy flavor. You can find it the bulk and spice section of natural food stores, and online.
Need more snacks? Give our vegan JOI French Onion Dip a try, or check out The Naked Bite’s collection of plant forward, flavor first snacks and appetizers!