Creamy Jackfruit Enchiladas with Salsa Verde
Need to cut through the richness of the holidays with something zesty? How about these Creamy Jackfruit Enchiladas?! Jackfruit makes the perfect meatless meal as it’s both hearty and delicious!
The creamy jackfruit filling is all thanks to JOI. With tender bites of sweet potato and black beans, these enchiladas are a filling meal for the family or a great meal prep idea for the week. All wrapped up in a warm tortilla and topped with salsa verde.
By using your favorite taco seasoning you can transform the pulled jackfruit into a delicious filling for these enchiladas! It takes on flavors very well and by stirring in a scoop of JOI you emulate that cheese-filled enchilada that is hard to resist.
- 1 15oz can jackfruit, drained and separated into chunks
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- ½ cup black beans, rinsed and drained if canned
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- ¼ cup water
- 2 additional cups of water
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp JOI Plant Base (Cashew or Almond)
- 6 tortillas
- 2 cups salsa verde
How It’s Made:
- In a pot, steam the sweet potato as follows: add the ¼ cup of water and the diced sweet potato. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook for 5-7 minutes until tender. Drain and allow sweet potato to cool slightly in a mixing bowl.
- In the mixing bowl combine the ½ cup black beans with the steamed sweet potato and ½ tsp salt.
- In a skillet, add the jackfruit pieces and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and cover the jackfruit. Let it steam for at least 10 minutes.
- Test the jackfruit; if you can shred apart the jackfruit pieces easily, it is done, otherwise allow to steam for a couple more minutes. When ready, shred apart the jackfruit pieces with two forks; the jackfruit should take on the appearance of shredded chicken.
- Once you begin shredding the jackfruit, add in the other cup of water and mix in the taco seasoning. Stir in JOI until creamy!
- Cook until the pieces fully shred apart, another 10 minutes or so.
- Lay out 6 tortillas and add 2 tablespoons of the black beans/sweet potato mixture in each tortilla. Then top each tortilla with about 3 Tablespoons of the creamy jackfruit filling.
- Roll up like a burrito and place seam-down in a baking dish. Repeat until baking dish is full (about 6 tortillas).
- Pour the salsa verde over the enchiladas and add any extra filling all around the enchiladas in the baking dish.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes until bubbly. Enjoy!