Creamy Vegan Mushroom Sauce For A Plant Based Win
Mushrooms + JOI + a few other whole and natural ingredients combine to make a wonderful, creamy base to support all your plant-based recipes. But we really like this mushroom sauce for pasta (or flatbreads, or chips, or anything that can soak this stuff up with). You can blend JOI with water to make milk beforehand, or just add it directly to the hot pan and whisk in. As always, the choice is yours when it comes to cooking with JOI.
2 TB extra virgin olive oil
½ onion, diced
1 sprig of rosemary, leaves removed and finely chopped
2 sprigs of thyme, stripped of leaves
1 sage leaf
1 clove garlic, finely sliced
1 lb mushrooms (crimini, baby bella, shitake, oyster, or mix), stemmed, cleaned and sliced
¾ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
4 TB JOI Cashew or Almond Base
(optional) about 1/4 cup vegetable stock (or reserved pasta water)
How To Make It
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt until it tastes like the sea. Once boiling, add your pasta of choice (we like rigatoni or penne or spaghetti) and cook accordingly
- While your pasta cooks, heat a large sauce pan over medium heat, sauté onions until softened but not browned, approximately 5-6 minutes.
- Add thyme, rosemary, sage and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, salt and pepper, turn heat to medium high and cook for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Take the pan off of the heat. If the pan is very dry, add about 1/4 cup of reserved pasta water if you have any (or stock if using), or less if the liquid released from the mushrooms is plentiful. Then add JOI and whisk into the mixture.
- Return the pan to medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add additional water or stock if you prefer a thinner sauce consistency. Pro tip: reserved pasta water is AMAZING for this).
- Taste to adjust seasonings. Add pasta, mix and serve!
[[ recipeID=recipe-8kjvrkoml, title=Creamy Vegan Mushroom Sauce For A Plant Based Win ]]