Creamy Vegan White Bean Soup
Recipe developed and photographed by Sara Ayesh of White Kitchen Red Wine
September officially marks the start of cozy soup season. From squash soups to tomato soups, there are SO many possibilities. You’ll want to be sure to add this Creamy White Bean soup to the top of your dinner list this fall!
White beans, kale, and sun-dried tomato make the most comforting and cozy soup that is packed with things that are good for the body. We’re going to up the cozy factor by adding a big scoop of JOI! JOI adds the perfect balance to the rich white beans and mushrooms. Sprinkle in a couple of cups of chopped kale and sun-dried tomato for a pop of color!
This is a gorgeous option to serve a group or your family. It is delicious - served with a side of your favorite crusty bread and it’s dinner party perfection! Top it with extra sun-dried tomato and mushrooms and it looks like a work of art.
- 2 cans of white beans (such as Cannellini or Northern)
- 1/2 cup JOI plant base (cashew or almond)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Pinch of red pepper
- ½ cup chopped mushrooms (such as cremini, button, portobello or a combination thereof)
- 3 stalks of kale, leaves removed from the stem
- ½ onion
- 2 cloves of Garlic, smashed or minced
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon black pepper
- In a large pot with a few glugs of olive oil, sauté the onion until soft, and then add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about another minute. Add in the mushrooms, Italian seasoning, salt and black and red pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a small mixing bowl whisk together JOI and vegetable stock. Pour prepared liquid into the soup pot.
- Add in drained white beans, kale leaves, and sun-dried tomatoes. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Enjoy with extra mushrooms as garnish!