Energize Your Morning With These Vegan and Dairy Free Chocolate Oatmeal Muffins
Ever wake up and realize there is nothing to eat that will satisfy your morning craving? Day old bagels? No thanks. Stale cereal? Nope. That feeling ends today with this energizing and delicious vegan chocolate oatmeal muffin recipe. Make the night before and have these ready for that post morning yoga routine or after you get the kids on their zoom for school!
This recipe is super easy! Just mix all your dry ingredients with your wet ingredients, stick 'em in the oven for 15-20 minutes, and they're ready to go!
Yields 12 muffins
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup rye (or buckwheat flour)
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
4 teaspoons baking powder
¼ cup sugar (coconut sugar works great here)
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
1 flax egg* (or 1 egg, if you're not vegan)
1 cup cooked oatmeal
½ cup JOI Almond or Cashew milk
2 tablespoons coconut oil
¼ cup dairy-free chocolate chips (optional)
1 tablespoon icing sugar, for dusting (optional)
How To Make It:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease or paper a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, stir together dry ingredients: flours, cocoa powder, baking powder, sugar, salt.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the prepared flax egg (or egg), oatmeal, milk and coconut oil. Make sure to mash the oatmeal to break up any clumps.
- Add the wet ingredient mixture into the dry ingredients, and stir to combine. Depending on how wet your oatmeal was, you may want to add a dash more milk - consistency should be pretty dense. Fold in the chocolate chips, if using.
- Scoop batter evenly among the wells of the muffin tin** and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of one of the muffins comes out clean.
- Wait until cooled, if dusting with icing sugar. Best served fresh from the oven!
*Note: To make a flax egg, stir to combine 1 TB ground flax seeds with 3TB water and allow to sit until thickened, from 5-15 minutes. Use instead of an egg.
**This muffin is quite dense due to the oatmeal, and won't rise very much. For a more Instagram-worthy muffin, smooth them out before popping into the oven!
[[ recipeID=recipe-8kjyifua7, title=Energize Your Morning With These Vegan and Dairy Free Chocolate Oatmeal Muffins ]]