Gluten-Free Banana JOI Pancakes For Your Next Brunch
Recipe and images courtesy of Wanderfully Wholesome.
Who doesn’t love a slow Sunday morning at home, whipping up a fresh batch of pancakes for the family! With sliced bananas and shredded coconut on top, these Gluten and Dairy Free Banana JOI Pancakes are surely a breakfast everyone will hop out of bed for! Even the famous Jack Johnson shares this love for banana pancakes as a cozy breakfast at home (and I can’t help but sing ‘Banana Pancakes’ in my head while I make these!)
To make these pancakes, you will want to start by making sure you have ripe bananas on hand. While you can mash up unripened bananas and still have tasty pancakes, you will notice a smoother texture with perfectly ripe bananas. You will also want to get out your JOI Almond Base and blend with water to make fresh almond milk for this recipe. Never did I see the day when I would be able to make almond milk at home so easily!
This gluten-free twist on a tropical classic makes the recipe more allergen-friendly, so the whole family can enjoy. Replace eggs with a vegan substitute to make them 100% plant-based. Stack them up, add your favorite toppings and dig in!
Servings: 15-16 pancakes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
Total time: 25-30 minutes
1 1/4 cup almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 bananas)
3/4 cup JOI Almond Base
1 1/2 cup JOI almond milk (prepared with 3 Tbsp JOI Almond Base blended with 1 1/2 cup water)
3 eggs, or 3 flax eggs (or equivalent egg substitute )
4 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 tsp vanilla
Spray coconut oil or baking spray
Toppings (optional): Bananas, sliced almonds, shredded coconut, hemp hearts, and maple syrup
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients (almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt).
- In a separate large mixing bowl, mash the ripe bananas.
- In the bowl with mashed bananas, add in the wet ingredients (JOI almond base, prepared almond milk made with JOI, eggs (or egg substitute), coconut oil, and vanilla). Stir to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Bring a skillet or griddle to medium heat, spray with baking spray or coconut oil, and pour about 1/3 cup batter per pancake on the skillet.
- Let each pancake cook until you see it bubbling through a bit (about 5 min each side)
- Serve up the pancakes with your favorite pancake toppings and enJOI!