How To Make Skinny Vodka Sauce
Words & Photography by Sara Ayesh (aka food blogger White Kitchen Red Wine)
Last month on one of my 30 Minute Monday meals I cooked live on my Instagram, I made a vodka sauce that Broma Bakery had posted. It was to die for, but you guys know I like to keep my meals fairly healthy! I was craving that yummy vodka sauce and I decided to come up with my very own low-cal, minimal guilt recipe for vodka sauce recipe! So let me show you HOW to make a homemade vodka sauce.
So I recently started working with JOI. They are a nutmilk base company and their product is a paste made from one ingredient: almonds or cashews. You take a couple of scoops and blend it with water for FRESH homemade nut milk. Do you know what they put in almond milk to keep it shelf stable? Do you want milk that has been trucked around and unrefrigerated for who knows how long? Well, I didn’t really know any different until trying this. Now I’m hooked! The taste is not only incredible, I make TONS of other things with it…
You can also use the cashew or almond base as a thickening agent in recipes. Which is exactly what I did here. The creaminess of the cashew base almost perfectly mimics heavy cream in this recipe. WHAT!? So just dream of all of the possibilities with this awesome base. I digress…back to the recipe!
This recipe uses a few staple pantry ingredients for the sauce, and to keep it even healthier I used red lentil pasta by Tolerant. I am in no way affiliated with them (wish I was!) but I cannot get enough of this pasta. I’ve been on the lookout for a pasta alternative that tastes, cooks, and is as good as pasta. This is it. I like mixing this pasta sauce with this specific pasta, but you go for what you love!
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup vodka
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons JOI Cashew Base ( you can substitute 1/2 cup almond or cashew milk, but trust me it’s just not the same!)
How To Make The Vodka Sauce
- In a sauce pan sauté the onion with a little bit of olive oil until it is nice and soft, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic powder and Italian seasoning and give it a stir.
- Slowly pour in the 1/2 cup vodka and cook 5-7 minutes.
- Add the can of diced tomato, can of tomato sauce, pepper flakes and let cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Add your 2 scoops of JOI Cashew Base and stir until it has melted in and let reduce for another 5 minutes.
- Before serving stir in fresh chopped basil. Enjoy over your favorite pasta!
[[ recipeID=recipe-8kjyiu1yw, title=How To Make Skinny Vodka Sauce ]]