Say Hello To Summer With This Vegan Blackberry Cashew Nice Cream
Recipe created and written by Sara Ayesh of White Kitchen Red Wine
When Summer rolls around, one of my favorite things about the season change is the produce! Summer months to me scream black berries. Fresh, juicy, sweet, perfectly plump blackberries that you can only experience this certain time of year. Don’t run out of recipes to use up those babies, here is a dairy free, vegan Blackberry Cashew Nice Cream that will curb that sweet tooth and take full advantage of blackberry season!
Nice cream is a common term for an ice cream made with a frozen banana base. By also incorporating our cashew base and cashew milk, we take away some of the coying sweetness that traditional Nice Cream can have. It’s a perfect balance that is rich and creamy, yet dairy free!
The first trick to the ultra creamy nice cream is to add in a bit of our cashew base for richness. Then use the cashew milk to thin it all out until it is smooth and creamy. Blend in the frozen bananas and voila! Nice cream.
Back to those blackberries though. You can use fresh berries to make your own compote or use your favorite jar of blackberry preserves. I like to reduce them over medium high heat with agave syrup and vanilla and then swirl it into the nice cream before freezing.
1 cup + 2 TB JOI cashew plant base
½ cup water
4 sliced, frozen bananas
An additional 1 to 4 TB water as necessary to allow blending
2 tablespoons agave syrup or maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups blackberries
¼ cup water
1 tablespoon vanilla
How To Make It
- Combine cashew base, water in a food processor or blender
- Blend until smooth and creamy, about 30 seconds.
- Add in the 4 sliced, frozen bananas and blend. This could take up to 4 minutes. I had to stop every minute or so and break up slices of frozen banana that were stuck together.
- At this stage, add in the additional water by the Tablespoon, if needed, to help thin it out enough to blend.
- Once creamy, add in the agave syrup and vanilla extract.
- Pour into a loaf pan
- Over medium high heat in a sauce pan combine the blackberries, water, vanilla, and agave. Bring to a simmer and let it reduce for about 5 minutes until thick.
- Pour the compote over the nice cream and swirl with a knife or spoon.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours.