Vegan Queso Made with JOI: A Crave-Worthy Plant-Based Snack from the Kitchen of The Naked Bite’s Chef Amber
Going vegan does not mean you have to give up some of life’s little pleasures—like silky smooth, decadent, savory queso. Our friend Chef Amber from plant-forward healthy eating advocates The Naked Bite has come up with a good one.
Your standard grocery store vegan cheese may be a divisive topic, but there’s nothing up for argument about the vegan queso Chef Amber has whipped up. Creamy JOI nutbase comes together with roasted red peppers (a sure-fire way to take any recipe up a notch) and rich spices to create a plant-based, gluten-free, vegan queso like no other. It’s hands down delicious, 100% whole-food, and entirely guilt free—not to mention a great addition to your next potluck, game day, girls’ night, or family dinner snack spread. Pro tip: it’s also great on tacos.
We suggest getting a second bag of tortilla chips—Vegan Queso made with JOI will go fast. Here’s the recipe:
1/4 cup + 2 TB JOI Cashew Base (it's ok to use JOI Almond if you're in a pinch :)
1/4 cup filtered water
1/3 cup roasted peppers, drained
1/4 cup nutritional (not Brewer's) yeast
2 TB lemon juice
2 cloves garlic (large)
1 medium scallion or large slice of red onion
1 TB olive oil
2 tsp smoked paprika or chipotle powder
1 tsp cumin
1 good pinch cayenne
Salt to taste
- Place water, followed by all other ingredients, into a blender.
- Blend on high for about 30 seconds, until very smooth and creamy.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary, and add a touch more water if you would like it to be thinner.
- If you would like to serve it warm, blend a bit longer until some steam is escaping from the hole in the lid.
- Eat with chips, over warmed black beans or as a sauce for tacos.
Tips & Notes:
- To make a vegan "cheese" sauce, omit the cumin and chipotle and serve over pasta like a mac & cheese, or over steamed broccoli or cauliflower.
- Nutritional yeast is a byproduct of the molasses brewing process. It is very high in B vitamins and has a cheesy flavor. You can find it the bulk and spice section of natural food stores, and online.
Need more snacks? Give our vegan JOI French Onion Dip a try, or check out The Naked Bite’s collection of plant forward, flavor first snacks and appetizers!