Vegan Toasted Almond Coffee Cake
Recipe and photographs by Danielle Webb of Wanderfully Wholesome.
Picture this: You’re enjoying a slow, quiet morning at home, sipping on a hot cup of coffee and enjoying homemade coffee cake fresh out of the oven… Now I don’t know about you, but that sounds like my kinda morning! All you need is a cozy blanket and a good book and I’m there!
With this simple Vegan, Gluten-Free Toasted Almond Coffee Cake recipe, your family will wake up to the sweet smell of cinnamon wafting through the house. A breakfast the whole family will enjoy, this coffee cake comes together in just 15 minutes before baking in the oven.
The recipe uses homemade JOI Almond milk (made in seconds!), which offers a unique almond flavor to the cake, along with the almond flour and sliced almonds throughout the streusel topping. Enjoy with fresh fruit and a cup of coffee for a blissful morning at home!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
This recipe is Dairy-Free, Vegan, and Gluten-Free
1 3/4 cup almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup coconut oil, solid (NOT melted)
1 cup coconut sugar
4 flax eggs (Mix 4 Tbsp ground flax seed + 10 Tbsp water, let sit 10 minutes to gel up)
1/2 cup prepared JOI Almond milk (1 Tbsp JOI Almond Base blended with 1/2 cup cold water)
1 tsp vanilla
Toasted Almond Streusel
1/3 cup coconut sugar or turbinado sugar
3 Tbsp almond flour
1 Tbsp coconut flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup sliced almonds
4 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 325 F
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a stand mixer or using an electric hand mixer and a bowl, cream together the solid coconut oil and coconut sugar.
- Add in flax eggs, mix.
- Pour in prepared JOI Almond milk and vanilla, mix.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients, mixing to combine.
- In an 8”x8” pan, spray with coconut oil and add in coffee cake mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes (you will bake more after you add the streusel topping)
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for the Toasted Almond Streusel. Once the coffee cake has been baking for 20 minutes, lightly sprinkle the streusel on top and bake for 25 more minutes - until the toothpick comes out clean.