Creamy Cashew Chickpea Stuffed Squash
Recipe developed and photographed by Sara Ayesh of White Kitchen Red Wine
Rich and hearty, this stuffed squash is the perfect “meatless” dinner! The savory coconut aminos together with the creamy JOI Cashew base make the perfect sauce to add to crispy chickpeas and cashew. Stuff it all into an acorn squash and it’s fall dinner perfection!
The key to this really thick and creamy sauce is obviously the JOI Cashew base! It is the perfect creamy balance to the salty coconut aminos (or soy sauce!) We’ll whisk that together with a bit of sesame oil to really reinforce the flavor profile. It goes so well over our crispy chickpeas and crunchy cashews.
While the acorn squash may seem like an odd combination with the Asian flavors, it actually works so well together. The flavor of an acorn squash is really mellow and almost creamy. It mimics our JOI Cashew base in that way and makes this a very well rounded dish. Top with fresh cilantro and enjoy as a hearty main course!
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 2 acorn squashes, halved and seeds scooped out
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ½ cup coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ¼ cup JOI Cashew plant base
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Cilantro for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425F and roast the halved squash for 30 minutes, or until tender.
- In the meantime, in a skillet, heat up a little olive oil and then add the chickpeas. Pan fry until the chickpeas are crunchy. The goal is for them to get a little crispy, so only stir every once in a while or the crisping will not occur.
- Add in the cashews and remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl combine JOI, coconut aminos, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Whisk until fully combined.
- Pour the sauce over the chickpeas and cashews and stir.
- When the squash is done, fill with the cashew and chickpeas. Top with cilantro!