Creamy, Velvety Vegan Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
A real comfort food classic, this Vegan Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese is so creamy and flavorful, you would never guess the sauce is made of vegetables! The nutritional yeast adds a cheesy flavor, while the JOI Cashew milk makes for the creamiest of sauces.
Butternut squash is one of those vegetables that is very versatile and can be used in many different ways - from baking to soups and sauces. When cooked and blended, it lends a naturally thick and smooth consistency to your dish, making it easy to create a cheesy sauce the whole family will love with just a few spices and JOI Cashew milk!
I encourage you to have fun with this recipe! You can add in steamed broccoli, make it spicy with some hot sauce, or enjoy as is. Serve it up as the main course with roasted vegetables, or even as a side dish along with the main course.
Servings: 2-4 (depending if main dish or side dish)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
This recipe is Dairy-Free, Vegan, and has an option for Gluten-Free
4 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced
4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Salt + pepper to taste
1 Tbsp JOI cashew plant base
1/2 cup water
Gluten-Free or regular pasta of choice
1 Tbsp vegan butter (optional)
1-2 Tbsp pasta water, saved from boiling pasta
- In a pot on the stove, bring 6 cups of water to a boil. Add in peeled and diced butternut squash, boiling for about 10 minutes, until you can pierce easily with a fork.
- Drain butternut squash and add it to a blender.
- In the blender with the butternut squash, add JOI cashew plant base, nutritional yeast, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt + pepper and water.
- In a separate pot on the stove, boil water and make pasta as directed.
- Once the pasta is ready, measure out pasta water and set aside. Drain the pasta and add it back to the pot.
- If desired, stir in vegan butter with pasta. Then, add in 1 cup of the prepared butternut squash “cheese” mixture with the reserved pasta water and stir to combine.
- Serve and enJOI!