Our Vegan Take on Milk Bar’s Cereal Milk Made with JOI is Nostalgia in a Glass
No matter how much of a health nut you are, you can’t deny the comfort, and frankly the sheer joy, of some good old-fashioned sugary cereal. If you’re like us, sugar bomb cereal was a staple of childhood mornings (ok, maybe college dinners too). But the best part was never really the cereal—it was the milk left behind.
Much-hyped dessert-masters Milk Bar tapped into the magic of this treat-waiting-to-happen with their recipe for Cereal Milk. We’ve adapted that nostalgic formula with our own plant-based, vegan take made from milk blended from JOI nutbases for a grown up, healthy-ish version of a nostalgic favorite. Sip on this Cereal Milk made with JOI as a treat all on its own, incorporate it into your next vegan baking project (ummm, birthday cake with sprinkles anyone?), sub in for standard plant milk for extra-indulgent overnight oats, or get truly meta and pour over a bowl of cereal or granola.
Ready for an extra-fun indulgence? Here’s our vegan recipe for Milk Bar’s Cereal Milk Made with JOI:
What’s In It:
2 heaping cups corn flakes
3 cups milk made with JOI Nutbase (Cashew or Almond)
1 TB brown sugar (or other sweetener of choice), adjusting to taste
¼ tsp (scant) salt
How It’s Made:
- Preheat oven to 300 deg
- Spread corn flakes on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, until lightly toasted.
- Allow to cool completely upon removing from oven.
- Add cooled cereal and JOI milk to a large pitcher or Mason jar. Seal and shake vigorously. Allow to steep 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve, collecting the milk in a medium bowl or large glass measuring cup. The milk will drain off quickly at first, then become thicker and starchy toward the end of the straining process. Using the back of a ladle (or your hand), wring the milk out of the cornflakes, but do not force the mushy cornflakes through the sieve.
- Whisk the brown sugar and salt into the milk until fully dissolved. Store in a clean pitcher or glass milk jug, refrigerated, for up to 1 week.
Have we opened your eyes to the possibilities of milk made with JOI nutbases? Keep exploring the sweet and savory options with this just-sweet-enough Strawberry Milk!
[[ recipeID=recipe-8kkcx1xpu, title=Our Vegan Take on Milk Bar’s Cereal Milk Made with JOI is Nostalgia in a Glass ]]