Vegan Latkes with Sage Garlic Sauce For The Win This Hanukkah (or any time of year)
The next best thing to french fries would have to be these herbaceous, shredded potato cakes (a/k/a “latkes”)! Shredded potato seasoned with herbs and dipped in a sage and garlic aioli is side dish perfection.
These latkes are held together with a pinch of flour and a scoop of JOI. The potatoes are lightly seasoned with salt and dried thyme. Fry them up in a bit of oil in a searing hot cast iron pan to finish them off until golden brown.
The sauce is a crowd pleaser on its own...make extra and use it for all your dipping needs! Lots of garlic and fresh sage are blended until smooth and creamy with JOI and a splash of water. Serve the potato cakes dipped in the garlic sage sauce and enjoy!
About 12 potato cakes
For the potato pancakes:
- 4 russet potatoes, washed (unpeeled)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp flour
- ¼ cup avocado oil for frying
- ¼ cup JOI
For the Garlic Sage Sauce:
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp water
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup JOI Plant Base (Cashew or Almond)
How It’s Made:
- Shred all the potatoes with the shredding attachment of a food processor or on the side of a box shredder, and place in a mixing bowl. Press out any excess liquid with paper towels.
- Add salt, thyme, garlic powder, flour, and JOI to the shredded potatoes and mix together well.
- Heat your olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat until very hot but not smoking.
- Using a ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop out portions of the potato mixture and press into cakes. Place each cake into the skillet and fry, 2 potato cakes at a time to avoid crowding.
- Fry the cakes for about 5 minutes on each side. When done, place on a plate lined with paper towel to drain excess oil. Finish them with a sprinkle of salt and place in a warm oven at about 200 degrees F to keep hot while you finish frying the rest of your latkes.
- Begin your next batch, repeating steps 5 and 6 until all of your potato mixture has been used.
- Meanwhile, in a blender cup combine garlic, sage, water, salt, and JOI. Blend until smooth.
- Serve the garlic sage sauce alongside the fried potato cakes for topping or dipping. EnJOI!
[[ recipeID=recipe-8kjwykt9a, title=Vegan Latkes with Sage Garlic Sauce For The Win This Hanukkah (or any time of year) ]]