Not Your Grandma's Honey Mustard Brussels Sprouts
Did grandma even make honey mustard brussels? Probably not, but that's beside the point. Side dishes seem to be in never ending demand during the cooler months and into the holidays. Be prepared at the drop of a hat with these creamy Honey Mustard Brussels Sprouts. Delicious, tangy mustard paired with the slight sweetness of honey, all set over earthy Brussels sprouts is perfection!
The honey mustard sauce gets a creamy kick from JOI, which balances the acidity in the mustard really nicely. The seared Brussels sprouts are a match made in heaven with the creamy mustard sauce and we can’t forget some fall herbs to top it all off!
Oregano and thyme are an optional addition to this dish that really make it feel like a holiday party side dish! They bring a warmth to this side dish that makes it perfect for any weeknight or holiday dinner table.
Yield: 6 servings
1 bag of Brussels sprouts (12 to 16 ounces), halved
3 Tablespoons dijon mustard
2 Tablespoons honey
2 Tablespoons JOI plant base (almond or cashew)
Pinch of salt and pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
How It’s Made:
- Sear the Brussels sprouts in a cast iron (or heavy) skillet with a little olive oil over medium high heat. Once the Brussels sprouts hit the pan, try not to move them around for the first 3-4 minutes so they get a good char on them.
- Cook the Brussles sprouts about 7-9 minutes, tossing every so often after the first 3-4 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together the mustard, honey, JOI, and spices until smooth and emulsified.
- Pour the sauce over the Brussel sprouts into the pan, and toss to combine.
- Cook another 3 minutes and remove from heat when the Brussel sprouts are tender.