Summer doesn't have to be all about BBQ ribs, burgers and corn on the cob. We've got a super nutritious & delicious plant-based recipe that will kiss your grill bye-bye! This summer curry can be poured over your choice of grains and served with steamed or roasted veggies for a balanced, colorful and protein-packed plant-based meal. Turmeric offers a highly anti-inflammatory boost. Tofu packs complete protein. And add JOI for creaminess and healthy fats, this may be your new favorite summer bowl.
Yields: 4 servings
1 can of coconut milk
2 tbsp JOI cashew base
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp minced ginger OR ginger paste (or sub 1/2 tbsp ginger powder)
1 heaping tbsp curry powder
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp sea salt
Ground black pepper to taste
1 cup chickpeas
1 cup firm tofu, diced
How To Make It
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil, onions and garlic and sauté for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent.
2. Add all remaining curry sauce ingredients and stir well. Make sure to whisk JOI into sauce until smooth. Reduce heat to low.
3. Add cooked chickpeas and diced tofu to curry sauce, mix thoroughly.
4. Serve over brown rice, quinoa, mixed grains, or cauliflower rice. Add a side of cooked vegetables of your choice.
5. Garnish with fresh herbs of choice.
Speaking of healthy summer meals, we've got the perfect summer treats if you are one of those "I scream for ice cream" kind of people (we can totally relate, by the way). Enjoy a healthier ice cream option with this Blackberry Cashew Nice Cream
made with bananas & berries (hello antioxidants!) And if you got kiddos at home, get them in the kitchen to help you make these super simple Coconut JOI Pops
, fun and great for the whole fam!
About the author: Originally from Brazil, Carolina moved to Florida in 2010 to complete her bachelor’s degree in Public Relations and Journalism, followed by a Master of Science in Nutrition & Dietetics. Carolina recently relocated to New York City to pursue her career as a dietitian in the health food industry. She is a Nutrition Consultant for JOI and one of our biggest fans! Carolina believes in the power of a whole-food, plant-based diet combined with physical activity for optimal health. Her favorite foods are dark chocolate and broccoli (preferably not together), and her favorite JOI recipe is the Golden Milk!