Vegan Snack Attack: A Healthy and Indulgent French Onion Dip Made with JOI
Show me a man (or woman) who doesn’t like snacks, and I’ll show you a liar. We all like snacks. Many of us need snacks. More than a few of us have resonated a little closely with those Snickers ‘You’re not you when you’re hungry’ ads; snacks solve that problem. In short, we can all agree—snacks are great.
Vegan, gluten-free snacks that actually fill you up and that you can actually feel good about indulging in? Now those are a god-send.
Lucky you, we’re about to share one of those snacking unicorns: French onion dip made with JOI almond or cashew nutbase. It’s creamy, it’s savory, it’s decadent, it’s a little addicting, and we’re confident it’s about to become one of your regular cravings. We highly recommend a bright and healthy crudité platter to go along with this dip (because we’re fancy), but crackers or good ol’ potato chips are equally delicious pairings.
Ready to impress your friends, or just have a **really** great night in? Here’s the recipe for JOI French Onion Dip:
What's In It:
1 medium onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 measure of JOI sour cream (recipe follows)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (vegan if desired)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
Salt, to taste
How To Make It:
- Prepare JOI sour cream.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the diced onions and sauté, stirring frequently for 25-30 minutes or until golden and caramelized. Cover the pan intermittently or add water if the onions are drying out too quickly.
- Set onion mixture aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, mix well to combine the sour cream, garlic powder, onion powder, and Worcestershire. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Fold the caramelized onions into the sour cream mixture.
- Garnish with parsley, if desired, and serve with chips, crackers or crudités.
The Secret Sauce—JOI Sour Cream
What’s In It:
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup JOI almond, cashew, or organic almond nutbase
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
How To Make It: (Can be made ahead; lasts approximately 6 days in the refrigerator)
- Place water, followed by all ingredients, in a blender and blend on medium high for approximately 30 seconds.
- Refrigerate to thicken and set.
Looking for another tasty, healthy, and highly snackable recipe made with JOI? Try our Vegan Queso dip!
[[ recipeID=recipe-9kjssv1ha, title=Vegan Snack Attack: A Healthy and Indulgent French Onion Dip Made with JOI ]]