Vegan Roasted Carrot Soup Made with JOI and Burlap & Barrel Turmeric is Immunity Boosting Comfort Food
We could all use a little pick-me-up in these weird social distancing times. We’re also looking for any immunity boost we can as we all work to flatten the curve. Vegan Roasted Carrot Soup made with JOI and Burlap & Barrel New Harvest Tumeric works double duty.
This soup is so velvety and indulgent it might be hard to believe just how good for you it actually is. A hearty base of carrots and red onion pack a nutrient punch when paired with generous portions of antioxidant-packed turmeric, garlic, cumin, and coriander. JOI almond or cashew nut base brings it all together into one creamy, delicious guilt-free comfort meal. Whip out the roasting pan and food processor (or blender) and go ahead, eat your feelings.
Here’s the recipe for Roasted Carrot Soup made with JOI and Burlap & Barrel New Harvest Tumeric:
Makes 2 quarts
2 lbs carrots
1 large red onion, cut into 4 - 6 wedges
4 TB extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp salt, divided
½ tsp pepper
4 cloves garlic
1 quart stock of choice
Parsley, chopped, for garnish (optional)
How It’s Made:
- Preheat an oven to 375ºF
- Toss carrots and onion with 2 TB olive oil, cumin, coriander, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Roast in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, until cooked through and caramelized.
- In a pan over medium heat, sauté 4 cloves of garlic, smashed or slivered, with 2 TB oil (or butter) for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly so that garlic does not burn.
- Add turmeric to garlic and cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the stock and the roasted carrot mixture to the garlic and turmeric and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a food processor (or a blender or using an immersion blender), puree the carrot mixture with JOI until smooth.
- Add salt, pepper, coriander, and cumin to carrot and JOI mixture. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Garnish with fresh parsley if desired and enJOI!
Looking for more healthy comfort food inspiration? Give our Vegan Vegetable Korma a try!