Glazed Lemon Poppy Scones Made with JOI are Your Next Just-Sweet-Enough Procrastibaking Project
If there was ever a moment for procrastibaking, the COVID-19 quarantine is definitely it.
Maybe you’re looking for something to make another Sunday morning stuck inside with the kiddos a little sweeter. Maybe you’re looking for an adequate replacement for the coffee shop favorite you’re missing from your daily commute to the office (#WorkFromHomeProblems). Or maybe you just need anything to distract you from the apartment walls closing in on whatever day it might happen to be (because let’s be real, you lost track of that whole concept of ‘time’ about two weeks ago).
No matter—these Glazed-Lemon Poppy Scones adapted from Ballymaloe Cookery School’s White Scones and made with JOI almond nutbase can help. This recipe satisfies that unique desire for a crumbly, just-sweet-enough breakfast treat that only a scone can provide. Plus, they’re dairy-free and can easily become a low-sugar option by omitting the glaze. Procrastinate away and enjOI!
Here’s the recipe for Glazed Lemon Poppy Scones made with JOI:
Makes 10 scones
What’s In Them:
3 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
2 TB sugar (or double for a sweeter scone)
1 TB baking powder
6 TB butter or vegan butter substitute
¾ cup milk made from JOI almond or cashew nutbase
¼ cup lemon juice
2 tsp grated lemon zest
1 TB poppy seeds
2 cups powdered sugar
2 TB milk made from JOI almond or cashew nutbase
Juice and zest of one lemon
Pinch of salt
How They’re Made:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a large, wide bowl and stir in poppy seeds.
- Cut the butter into cubes, toss in the flour, and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles very coarse bread crumbs (Ballymaloe notes: "Surprisingly, this results in lighter scones") and then stir in poppy seeds; make a well in the center of the mixture.
- Whisk the eggs with the milk, lemon juice and lemon zest in a separate pitcher. Add to the dry ingredients and mix into a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured board or surface. Don't knead the dough—instead, shape just enough to make a round.
- Roll dough out to 1 inch thick and cut into wedges or stamp out round scones. If stamping, waste as little as possible; the first scones will be lighter than the second rolling. If you cut them into squares or triangles with a knife or pastry cutter there is no need to roll again. Simply cut the round into 9 or 10 triangular wedges as if cutting slices of pie.
- Transfer the scones to a baking sheet—there is no need to grease it. Bake in the hot oven for 16-20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While scones are cooling, prepare the glaze. Whisk together the powdered sugar and additional measures of JOI milk, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt until completely smooth. Add more milk, if needed, to thin, or more powdered sugar to thicken.
- Drizzle glaze onto scones and enJOI.
Looking for more healthy-ish baking inspiration made with JOI? Try our Mouth Watering Banana Bread!
[[ recipeID=recipe-7kke6zd4k, title=Glazed Lemon Poppy Scones Made with JOI are Your Next Just-Sweet-Enough Procrastibaking Project ]]