Shaved Summer Squash Salad Recipe
Aug 25, 2021| By JOI team
Shaved Summer Squash Salad Recipe
Almond-Base | Cashew-Base | Creamer-Base | Dairy-Free | Dressing+Dip | Keto | Oat-Powder | Recipe | salad | Sugar-Free | Vegan | Vegetarian |
Big on nutrition and taste, and low on effort, this summer squash salad is a great choice for warm summer days when there are better things to do than spend hours in the kitchen. Whether you are dining al fresco, packing lunch boxes, headed to a BBQ or picnic, this colorful nutrition-packed salad is the perfect option.
Why make THIS shaved squash salad?
Quick, easy, healthy, and delicious are the requirements for summer dining! That's why summer squash salad is one of our all-time favorites.
Sweet corn, peppers, and zucchini are perfectly dressed with a tangy dill vinaigrette. That means you're making the most of all of the sweet produce of summer.
Also, it's a no-cook, no-hassle option that is tossed together easily. Skip the stove and serve this show stopper on your cook-out dinner table.
Did we mention this salad is delicious? Beautifully seasoned with a simple dressing of sea salt and black pepper, garlic powder, lemon zest and juice, olive oil, and a generous portion of JOI, this dairy-free but creamy vinaigrette will wake up all those fresh veggies.
That's right, fast, dairy-free AND creamy. Great as a substitute in recipes where soaked, blended cashews are called for to add creaminess, having a tub of JOI on hand saves time and inconvenience. Make extra dressing and use it to flavor all your favorite summer salads and grilled vegetables.
Read on to dig in even more!
Why "shaved" squash?
Shaved squash looks good, and it's a quick and easy technique that is sure to impress! Just use a vegetable peeler to thinly slice and shave the squash, cutting down on prep time. In a large bowl, toss the ingredients together, use a small bowl whisk to combine the dressing ingredients, add to the salad, mix and serve.
The flavors of the individual ingredients fuse beautifully, creating a tasty, satisfying salad that works well as a light lunch dish, or as a side to a larger meal. Serve it with a cold soup such as this Green Grape Gazpacho or cold Tomato Soup and crusty bread and dinner is served!
This salad keeps well, so you can rest assured that it if you bring it along to a social gathering it can sit until it's time to serve.
Beautifully simple and very tasty, this summer squash recipe packs a powerful nutritional punch.
JOI cashew plant base is a creamy, dairy-free product containing just one ingredient: that's right, cashews.
JOI also adds a punch of protein. The other veggies are great sources of nutrition. Red peppers are packed with potassium, Vitamins A and C, and are a good source of fiber.
Summer squash is an absolute powerhouse of nutrition! Containing manganese, B6, Vitamin C, riboflavin, fiber, Vitamin A, and potassium, it's an amazing source of nutrients that do your body good.
Grab your peeler and let's make this squash salad!
Yields 4 servings
- 1 large yellow squash, shaved (or substitute green zucchini)
- 2 cups corn, preferably fresh (or substitute a different chopped veggie)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (or substitute green bell pepper or yellow bell pepper)
- 1/4 cup JOI plant base (cashew or almond)
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ Tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill (or substitute fresh herb of choice, such as parsley, tarragon, basil or cilantro)
- Optional: pine nuts
- Note: substitute other vegetables, or a combination of several, for the corn and bell pepper, such as cucumber, jicama, celery, or radish
- Carefully shave squash with a vegetable peeler or mandolin to create wide, thinly sliced flat strips. Season with salt and pepper and a splash of vinegar and set aside. Dice the red bell pepper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the JOI, water, vinegar, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and dill. Whisk well.
- Add in the corn and bell pepper, and pine nuts if using, and toss to combine.
- Arrange the shaved yellow squash nicely on a serving platter and top with the corn mixture.
- Enjoy garnished with fresh dill.
More Salads! More Squash! More Recipes!
Looking for more delicious salads and recipes that are perfect for summer?
Check out these great creamy dressings:
- Creamy Vegan Ceasar Dressing
- Curry Mustard Dressing
- Creamy Vegan Ranch Dressing
- Vegan Poppy Seed Dressing
For more ways to use summer squash, check out these recipe ideas:
21 Healthy Back to School Recipes Kids Will Love
Collectively, we here at Team JOI have 10 kids ranging from age 0 to 15. These are some of our favorite dishes we'll be making as our kids get Back to School. From breakfast to dessert and snacks in between, there is something for everyone in your house.
Feeling Blue? Try Adding These 5 Mood-Boosting Foods To Your Diet
If you’re feeling blue, you may want to try switching up your diet. The foods we eat play a significant role in how we feel, which gives us another reason to prioritize a healthy, nutritious diet for both mental and physical health. A registered dietitian explains the relationship between food and mood.
5 Common Plant Milk Additives And Why You Should Avoid Them
If you’re trying to eat a more wholesome and nutritious diet, unnatural ingredients simply don’t belong. So read on. We’ve looked at several brands of almond milk, oat milk, coconut milk, and soy milk, and put together a list of the most common food additives in plant milks and why you should avoid them.
A Dietitian’s Guide To Eating More Sustainably
Are you trying to do better for the planet? Lea...